Hotel Management – Career Prospects and Education Information
One of the most significant outcomes of globalisation is the global upward trajectory of the tourism and hospitality industry. Being one of the most popular travel destinations with its culture, food and historical monuments, India is coming up with several hotels, resorts, restaurants and cafés. The Government of India in collaboration with the governments of various Indian states to promote tourism throughout the country.
Hotel and tourism management is a crucial part of the hospitality industry which has the potential to grow significantly in the near future. The demand for skilled hotel management graduates is already high in the country and the world, and with more eateries coming up everywhere, the career prospects of hotel management graduates are only on the rise.
Hotel management offers job opportunities to graduates in various fields. The hospitality industry has several different departments such as Operations, Front Desk, Accounting, Food and Beverages, Sales and Marketing, Security, Engineering and Maintenance amongst other. Students of hotel management can choose the field of their choice while still in college and pursue a career in it.
Apart from hotels, resorts and restaurants, hotel management graduates can find excellent jobs in:
The minimum qualification for a course in hotel management is 10+2. After considering all the options, a candidate can decide which course to opt for. They can go for a degree, diploma or certificate courses. Shri Ram Institute of Hotel Management offers a Degree in Hotel Management, a Diploma in Hotel Management, a Certificate Course in Baking and Confectionery, a Certificate Course in Bartending. Courses are of different durations from 6 months to 4 years.
- Airline Catering (flight kitchen) and Cabin Services
- Club management
- Cruise Ship Hotel Management
- Hospital administration and catering
- Hotel and Tourism Associations (for eg: state tourism development corporations)
- Hospitality services in the Indian Navy
- Hospitality services in various MNCs
- Forest Lodges
- Guest Houses, resorts
- Kitchen Management (in hotels or running canteens in college, schools, in factories, company guest houses etc.)
- Catering departments of railways, banks, armed forces, shipping companies etc
- Hotel and catering institutes (as a management trainee/ marketing or sales executive)
- Self employment (as an entrepreneur)